Early voting began Monday for the November 7 election. What’s on the ballot:
- 7 proposed amendments to the state constitution:
- Property tax relief for partially disabled veterans and their spouses who acquired their homes for less than market value through charities;
- Expands the ability of lenders to make home equity loans;
- Limits the time an unpaid political appointee can serve when he or she is appointed by the governor;
- Requires courts to give notice to the Texas Attorney General when a litigant challenges the constitutionality of a state statute and making courts wait 45 days before holding a statute to be unconstitutional;
- Allows professional sports teams’ charitable foundations to hold raffles;
- Provides property tax relief to spouses of first responders who are killed in the line of duty;
- Permits financial institutions to hold prize contests to promote savings.
- Travis County – $185 million in bonds to finance bike paths, sidewalks, road expansion projects, and a sports complex in Bee Cave.
- AISD – $1.05 billion in bonds for building improvements and to build an elementary school in the Mueller development.
The League of Women Voters produces an excellent, non-partisan voter’s guide that can be accessed free on their website: https://lwvaustin.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/VG-2017-NOV-online-web-site-FINAL.pdf